Entertainment
Live Nation Must Face Lawsuit Over 2023 Beyond Wonderland Shooting
Live Nation will have to either go to trial or settle a lawsuit that blames the concert promotions juggernaut for a deadly 2023 shooting at the Beyond Wonderland festival in Washington, a judge ruled.
The Feb. 13 court ruling rejected Live Nation’s motion for summary judgment over its alleged culpability in the June 2023 shooting at the Gorge Amphitheatre, which saw a man, James Kelly, open fire at the festival campgrounds after allegedly taking hallucinogenic mushrooms.
The case was brought in 2024 by the families of Brandy Escamilla and Josilyn Ruiz, who died in the shooting, as well as by Lily Luksich, Kelly’s then-girlfriend, who was shot but survived. The victims claim Live Nation, which operates the Gorge and promoted the EDM festival through its partial subsidiary Insomniac Events, could have prevented the shooting if it had more carefully screened festival attendees for drugs and weapons or ejected Kelly after he began acting suspiciously.
Live Nation maintains that it could not have foreseen that Kelly, an upstanding Army servicemember with no known violent history, would go on an “unprovoked homicidal rampage” during a “bad trip.” The company says it can’t be held liable for failing to prevent something so random — and that its security team’s gun-sniffing dogs did in fact search Kelly’s car when he entered the Gorge campground, but found nothing.
But Judge Patrick Oishi was apparently unconvinced by this argument, refusing to dismiss the case in a one-page order that did not specify his reasoning. The case will now move towards a trial currently scheduled for June, though it’s possible Live Nation will opt to settle the claims rather than go before a jury.
A lawyer for the Escamilla and Ruiz families, Brian Panish, said in a statement on Thursday (Feb. 19) that the ruling is “a critical step toward accountability for the tragic 2023 Beyond Wonderland shooting.”
“The court correctly rejected Live Nation’s attempt to avoid responsibility by claiming it owed no duty to take reasonable measures to protect concertgoers from the foreseeable risk of gun violence at its venue,” added Panish. “Our clients’ families deserve their day in court and will continue to pursue justice to ensure this never happens to another family.”
Luksich’s attorney, Tomás Gahan, told Billboard that the decision “was not only correct, it was expected.”
“The thrust of Live Nation’s argument was that it could not be liable for failing to take any reasonable actions to keep firearms out of its concert and campground venue because the risk of a mass shooting resulting from allowing firearms inside the venue under these circumstances was somehow ‘not foreseeable,” said Gahan. “This contention flew in the face of the facts of the case, which made clear that Live Nation knew that there was a real risk of a mass shooting should guns be permitted inside its venue.”
A rep for Live Nation did not return a request for comment on the decision.
The families of Escamilla and Ruiz are suing for wrongful death and seeking unspecified financial damages for funeral costs, lost earning capacity and emotional suffering. They’re also bringing negligence claims alongside Luksich, who wants monetary damages for both physical and mental pain.
The 2024 lawsuit alleges that the joint Live Nation-Insomniac venture “prioritized profit over security.” The victims say Live Nation didn’t adequately search Kelly’s car, even though they knew illicit drugs and weapons were an issue on the premises; they pointed out that in 2022, just one year earlier, a man had been arrested during the Bass Canyon festival at the Gorge, also promoted by Live Nation, after he inhaled an intoxicant and then loaded two pistols in the venue’s parking lot.
“Despite that history and knowledge, Live Nation failed to take reasonable steps to make the venue and campgrounds safe for concertgoers,” reads the lawsuit.
Live Nation contends that the events of June 2023 were “heinous, random acts of murder.” The company notes that this was the first shooting to take place at the Gorge in its 20 years overseeing the venue, and that Beyond Wonderland had always been peaceful before the incident.
Another injured victim in the shooting, Andrew Cuadra, is also suing Live Nation in a separate case. A summary judgment hearing in that lawsuit is set for March.
Kelly, meanwhile, is facing criminal murder charges and has maintained a plea of not guilty. His case is being prosecuted in military court because he was serving as a field artillery coordinator at a Washington army base at the time of the shooting, according to the NBC affiliate KHQ.
Entertainment
Live Nation Deletes Post Telling DOJ ‘It’s Time to Move On’ From Monopoly Lawsuit
Live Nation has quietly taken down a blog post in which its top lawyer publicly urged the Department of Justice (DOJ) to settle its antitrust case against the promotion giant without forcing the sale of Ticketmaster.
On Thursday (Feb. 19), Live Nation head of corporate and regulatory affairs Dan Wall argued in a post titled “It’s Time to Move On” that the DOJ has already lost its legal arguments for breaking up Live Nation and Ticketmaster. But as of Friday morning (Feb. 20), that post had become a dead link on Live Nation’s site.
Live Nation reps did not return inquiries from Billboard as to why the post was deleted.
A trial is currently scheduled to begin next month in the DOJ’s blockbuster legal action — in which it was joined by dozens of state attorneys general — that seeks to reduce Live Nation’s market share across the live music industry. The lawsuit alleges that Live Nation has monopolistically impeded competition — claims the company strongly denies.
Wall’s now-deleted blog post appealed to the DOJ to enter into a “realistic, common-sense” settlement rather than take the case to trial. It was an unusual public negotiating tactic, but not the first sign that Live Nation wants a deal; Semafor recently reported that Kellyanne Conway and Mike Davis, allies of President Donald Trump, are lobbying the administration on the company’s behalf.
The crux of Wall’s post was his interpretation of a key Wednesday (Feb. 18) court ruling in the lawsuit. In that ruling, Judge Arun Subramanian held that the trial should go forward on the legality of both Ticketmaster’s exclusive venue contracts and Live Nation’s policy of “tying” its artist promotion services to shows at its amphitheaters — though he ruled there’s insufficient evidence for the DOJ’s claim that the company has broadly monopolized the national concert promotion market.
Wall’s post argued that the ruling “undermines any serious argument for breaking up Live Nation and Ticketmaster.” He suggested the DOJ’s case has been seriously weakened now that it can no longer claim a concert promotions monopoly, and that the best path forward is a settlement that contains some “meaningful” relief without spinning off Ticketmaster.
Separately from Wall weighing in, the implications of Judge Subramanian’s Wednesday order are already being litigated in court. Live Nation’s outside lawyers filed papers on Thursday arguing that the dismissal of promotion-monopoly claims fatally dooms the tying allegations, and that the decision also should bar the DOJ from introducing evidence at trial that Live Nation allegedly threatened to withhold Live Nation acts from venues if they didn’t use Ticketmaster.
The government has been ordered to respond to these arguments by midday on Saturday (Feb. 21).
Entertainment
Camila Cabello Speaks Out Against ‘Oppressive Regime’ in Cuba: ‘People Are Starving’
Camila Cabello is using her platform to raise awareness for her home country of Cuba.
In a Friday (Feb. 20) post on Instagram, the Fifth Harmony alum shared photos of herself as a young girl living in the Caribbean nation alongside present-day pictures of Cuban citizens protesting conditions under the current government. “There is so much going on here at home and so much I can say about the heartbreaking things the immigrant community is experiencing here in the US,” she wrote. “I also feel a personal responsibility to speak about what’s happening in Cuba, I still have family on the island that we speak to and send medicine, food and clothes to.”
“It has been 67 years of a failing dictatorship and an oppressive regime,” Cabello continued. “The Cuban people are suffering in an echo chamber where no one can hear them because to speak is to risk your life. Many people are starving, looking for food in trash heaps, and the only way to survive is having relatives ship you boxes of medicine because not even the hospitals have medicine.”
The pop singer went on to say that sometimes the country’s electricity is “gone for so long that food spoils and water becomes scarce” and wrote that when some “people have peacefully protested, they have disappeared or been put behind bars, some as young as 13 years old.”
“This is a reality where a post online costs you your life,” she added. “The Cuban people have lived without dignity and without hope for too long. It’s no wonder so many Cubans have thrown themselves into shark infested waters, making boats out of tires and sticks and risking their lives for freedom.”
Cabello ended her post by encouraging fans to donate to Caritas Cuba, a Catholic humanitarian organization.
Cuba’s infrastructure changed forever in 1959, when Fidel Castro assumed power after the Cuban Revolution. He was succeeded by his brother, Raúl Castro, after which current president Miguel Díaz-Canel took office in 2018 — although Raúl still holds a seat in the National Assembly as well as the title of Army General.
Cabello’s ties to Cuba are deeply personal, as she lived there until she was about 7 years old, after which she moved with her mom to Miami.
“I didn’t speak any English,” she recalled to Grazia in 2021. “My parents brought me here for the same reason that a lot of migrant families immigrate, which is just there’s opportunities that aren’t available in the country where you live, or violence. My parents were looking for a better life for me.”
Entertainment
Daughtry’s ‘The Bottom’ Reaches Top of Mainstream Rock Airplay Chart
Daughtry is No. 1 on Billboard’s Mainstream Rock Airplay chart for the third time, as “The Bottom” is now at the top of the survey dated Feb. 28.
The song, up four spots, follows a pair of reigns by the Chris Daughtry-fronted band in 2024, with “Artificial” (that February) and “Pieces” (September).
In between “Pieces” and “The Bottom,” Daughtry reached the chart with “The Dam,” which peaked at No. 7 in 2025, marking one of the act’s eight top 10s.
“Artificial” followed a 17-year run of appearances for the group that began with “It’s Not Over,” its debut single following the frontman’s fourth-place finish on the fifth season of American Idol in 2006. Three of those songs charted in 2007, with the band then experiencing a nearly 13-year respite before returning via “World on Fire” in 2020. In between, Daughtry was more of a presence on pop radio; the band boasts 16 career Adult Pop Airplay appearances, including four No. 1s among nine top 10s.
Daughtry himself has four Mainstream Rock Airplay No. 1s. In addition to the band’s three leaders, he also visited the top spot as a featured vocalist on Nothing More’s “Freefall” for two weeks last August.
Concurrently, “The Bottom” soars 22-14 on the all-rock-format, audience-based Rock & Alternative Airplay chart with 2.5 million audience impressions in the week ending Feb. 19, a surge of 36%, according to Luminate.
“The Bottom” is the lead single from Daughtry’s Shock to the System (Part Two), released in September as the follow-up to 2024’s first edition. The set debuted at No. 40 on the Top Album Sales chart and has earned 15,000 equivalent album units to date.
All Billboard charts dated Feb. 28 will update on Billboard.com Tuesday, Feb. 24.
-
Tech4 weeks agoSend Help review: GLOP! Youre not ready for Rachel McAdams latest… but I love it
-
Business5 months ago
How I Paid Off My Mortgage 10 Years Early On A Teacher’s Salary
-
Politics5 months agoBlack Lives Matter Activist in Boston Pleads Guilty to Federal Fraud Charges – Scammed Donors to Fund Her Lifestyle
-
Tech6 months agoGet a lifetime subscription to the “ChatGPT for investors” for under $60
-
Tech5 months agoReview: The Dreame H15 Pro CarpetFlex is the first wet/dry vacuum I liked
-
Business6 months ago
25 Low-Effort Side Hustles You Can Start This Weekend
-
Business6 months ago
9 Ways to Command a Six-Figure Salary Without a Bachelor’s
-
Entertainment4 months agoFat Joe Recalls Bruno Mars Snapping on Him Over Question About Puerto Rican Roots: ‘Broke My Heart’
